BEST Key Lime Pie tonight: Original recipe from Joe’s Crab Shack and tweaked by me. This is a relatively easy-to-make recipe that hits the spot in the summertime: cool, creamy, tart and just sweet enough. A favorite!
1. Buy a prepared honey graham crumb crust (remove plastic lid & bake for 10 minutes by itself in 350 degree oven – critical step so that crust is crisp and does not absorb filling and become soggy.)
2. Zest skin of one fresh lime on a microplane (about 3 teaspoons)
3. Separate and beat 4 egg yolks with lime zest using electric mixer/whipping attachment for 5 minutes
4. Slowly add 1 can of Eagle brand sweet condensed milk until incorporated – do not overbeat
5. Turn down mixer and add juice of 4 fresh limes (about a scant 2/3rds cup; do not use artificial lime juice – it leaves a metallic aftertaste)
6. Turn filling mixture into pre-baked graham cracker crust and bake for 10 minutes in 350 degree oven until set. Remove and cool thoroughly.
7. While filling cools, place glass pyrex mixing cup and clean whipping attachment in freezer to chill
8. Whip small carton of heavy cream in chilled glass container with mixer until stiff. Do not add sweetener. Pile onto cooled filling
9. With flat of cake knife, smooth whipped cream to edges of pie filling and pile higher in the middle. Chill in FREEZER for 30 minutes
10. Remove from freezer and cover with aluminum foil; store in refrigerator for a few hours until ready to serve
It may not be very pretty with the prepared crust in aluminum foil pan . . . but it sure tastes fabulous!